[lbo-talk] Circulation Plunges at Major US Newspapers

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Nov 1 07:47:16 PST 2006

Doug:

I'd love one of those. Not in the constrained, proper, euphemizing PC sense, but a good left-wing tabloid, that was full of news, gossip, and went after the ruling class in an energized, polemical, witty way. The NY Post is brilliant at what it does; I wish we had one.

[WS:] That reminds me of the Polish weekly "Nie!" (No) http://www.nie.com.pl/ (for those who can read Polish) established by the former spokesperson of the General Jaruzelski government Jerzy Urban. Urban's claim to fame lies in his irreverent reactions to the criticism by the US - e.g. saying "The government will feed itself" after the Reagan administration imposed economic sanctions on Poland, or by organizing a well-publicized charity drive in Poland to collect blankets for the homeless in the US.

"Nie" is rabidly anti-clerical, anti-right wing, and deliberately offensive to petit bourgeois sensibilities (especially by liberal use of explicit sexual content). It is a rag, but it is an "our" rag.

Wojtek