[lbo-talk] Circulation Plunges at Major US Newspapers

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Nov 1 08:28:57 PST 2006

Joanna:

As a first step, I would see if we could start with the "homeless" paper, which already has a distribution network.

[WS:] The problem is not the lack of distribution network, but the lack of demand. There are already many left-wing or left-liberal pubs, The Nation, Dollars and Sense, Mother Jones, the New Yorker, local "alternative" weeklies, to name only a few, with well established distribution networks. But they focus only on narrow market niches, outside which they could not survive. They could not survive mainly because the US population is generally not receptive to left leaning ideas, so the circulation - and revenues - would be rather limited. This is why Limbaugh and Hannity shows are doing well, while liberal shows of the same nature fold. This is a country of god, guns, and guts, and it will remain so in the foreseeable future. The already existing left/liberal media is all that the US market can bear.

Wojtek