[lbo-talk] My interview w/ World Burns to Death

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 1 17:09:22 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Yeah, some of them might be brainless murderers. But a lot of them
> are complicated people who find themselves in Iraq because of forces
> a lot larger than themselves. Why not blame their civilian bosses
> instead?

I agree completely with this. But the same thing goes for SUV drivers, homeowners, suburbanites, Bush voters, fundamentalists & evangelicals, chain-restaurant customers, football fans, Oprah's audience, assistant professors, 204Bs, Red Lobster managers, copywriters, construction workers . . . . .

We can't begin to understand the workings of capitalist ideology and its grounds in daily life if we continue to blame the victims of it.

As I wrote at 19 Oct 2006 08:41:33:

> These attacks on people, on their tastes, their living quarters, their
> restaurants, their transportation, are just another version, and a
> contemptible one, of blame the victim.

Carrol