[lbo-talk] Become a vegetarian or rot in hell!!! ;-)

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Nov 1 19:14:42 PST 2006

ravi wrote:

> However, I think you will find very few vegetarians who think that their
> choice of food is the best method to save the planet. I don't have data
> here, but the sense I get is that most of them are motivated by
> [personal] ethical considerations (vegetarianism is not the means to an
> end), perhaps even aesthetic ones in some cases ;-).
>
> --ravi

I'm genuinely interested in the ethical argument here, because I don't quite understand it. Is it your position that eating animals imposes suffering on nonhuman species, thus we shouldn't do it? If so, why the arbitrary distinction between eating plants and eating animals? How do we know that plants do not "suffer"? How do we know that all animals do?

Miles