[lbo-talk] Circulation Plunges at Major US Newspapers

tfast tfast at yorku.ca
Wed Nov 1 21:38:39 PST 2006

you all are lost in the mf desert! only lbop\ could have such a fking essoteric conversation about a paper which has not even formalized in the mind. You all make Carrol looked Cocked! A plague I say a mf Plague I say! Wondere in th wilderness you cheap intellextual whores....a plague I say a Plague ____________________________________ Travis W Fast

> At around 1/11/06 1:29 pm, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> > Ravi:
> >
> > Every selection is arbitrary in what sense?
> >
> > [WS:] In the sense that the perceiving subjects have a choice between
> > different alternatives, as opposed to being compelled one of these
> > alternatives on the pain of being at odds with the facts. Of course,
> > individual choices may be also constrained by collective norms, but that
> > does not mean that collective norms are not arbitrary in the sense I
just
> > mentioned - that they are not contradicted by objective facts.
> >

> Well, the burden remains on you to show that the editors have to operate
> either entirely arbitrarily, or using collective norms that are to their
> knowledge contradicted by objective fact. I will even make it simple for
> you and permit that facts can be obtained and described in such a way as
> to make this feasible.
>

> > To apply this to our discussion of the media - media outlets are
arbitrary
> > because they choose to report different facts based on their political
or
> > cultural preferences, rather than because something objectively happened
or
> > did not happen in a particular way.
>

> Then, as per your last part, there seems to be an objective way to
> describe something that happened. So one does have a non-arbitrary (in
> the sense in which you use that word) way to report. Perhaps the dataset
> would be prohibitive. There is a need for a filter. Well, this is a
> standard problem in empirical efforts (including sciences) and hence the
> reference to norms that help in this process. One can further examine
> and evaluate these norms.
>

> > Their reporting reflects two things:
> > what actually happened (which can be objectively verified or falsified)
and