[lbo-talk] Bill O'Reilly's weird take on horror movies

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 2 04:35:29 PST 2006

[Wish I had sent this before Hallowe'en. Oh well. Below, O'Reilly is interviewing a therapist about horror movies. It's easy to parlay the analysis into US war crimes, Abu Ghraib, secret CIA torture prisons, and a lot of the public's apathy/passive complicity about it. Also, there's something hilarious about a warmongering jingoist like O'Reilly asking the questions he does here. It gets Nietzschean. - B.]

[...]

DR. VIRGINIA KLEIN, PSYCHOTHERAPIST: People with a great deal of need to see rage and identify with power and angry power. Because nobody is listening to feelings.

O'REILLY: All right. So people who are angry themselves? Is that what you're saying?

KLEIN: Well, people who have suppressed their anger, either through tranquilizers or getting their new toys. And nobody listens to feelings, so they get pent up inside.

O'REILLY: So they have no outlet for their anger?

KLEIN: Right. So they identify with the great power, to cruelty to other people.

O'REILLY: All right. So not everybody. Obviously, there's some people just go in [to horror movies] for a cheap thrill. But you believe that a lot of people who go to these things are angry. They have no way to vent their anger, and yet seeing images on the screen of people suffering gives them relief?

KLEIN: Well, some people feel the terror they can't feel otherwise. So they do it in the theater. Some people feel the power that they don't dare to express, the rage and the power.

O'REILLY: So the power of the maniac torturing people?

KLEIN: Yes, yes.

O'REILLY: But why do people want power to hurt other people? What is that all about?

KLEIN: Because there's a kind of omnipotence that we imagine when we're children and we are powerless. And that is a different self, and it sinks into our unconscious and hates you.

O'REILLY: Does everybody have that?

KLEIN: Everyone has a different kind. It's an imaginary idea of yourself that you dream up when you're two, because you don't have any real power.

O'REILLY: So all human beings want some expression of power over others? Is that what you're saying?

[...]