[lbo-talk] My interview w/ World Burns to Death

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 06:50:29 PST 2006

On 11/1/06, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
> Doug Henwood wrote:
> > Yeah, some of them might be brainless murderers. But a lot of them
> > are complicated people who find themselves in Iraq because of forces
> > a lot larger than themselves. Why not blame their civilian bosses
> > instead?
>
> I agree completely with this. But the same thing goes for SUV drivers,
> homeowners, suburbanites, Bush voters, fundamentalists & evangelicals,
> chain-restaurant customers, football fans, Oprah's audience, assistant
> professors, 204Bs, Red Lobster managers, copywriters, construction
> workers . . . . .
>
> We can't begin to understand the workings of capitalist ideology and its
> grounds in daily life if we continue to blame the victims of it.

Folks are often soft on the empire's soldiers but hard on the soldiers of its state and non-state enemies.

I suppose that's in part because the empire's soldiers come back here (though seldom to the same neighborhoods as ones inhabited by leftists), and we have to live with them in the same country, whereas the soldiers on the other side generally do not live here, and in part because it's been a while since the armed forces of the United States were used against leftists here. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>