[lbo-talk] AWOL soldier who fled to Canada surrenders at Fort Knox

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 2 16:41:53 PST 2006

“Having grown up in an age of security, we all had a nostalgia for the unusual great perils. The war thus seized hold of us like strong liquor. It was under a hail of flowers that we left, drunk on roses and blood. Without a doubt, the war offered us grandeur, strength and gravity. It seemed to us like a virile exploit: the joyous combats of infantrymen in the meadows where blood fell like dew on the flowers. "

-- Ernst Jünger, Storms of Steel

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061031/ap_on_re_us/awol_soldier_surrender

AWOL soldier surrenders at Fort Knox

By DYLAN T. LOVAN, Associated Press Writer Tue Oct 31, 5:33 PM ET

A soldier who fled to Canada rather than accept a second tour in Iraq turned himself over to military authorities at Fort Knox on Tuesday, his attorney said.

Kyle Snyder, a former combat engineer, left the U.S. in April 2005 while on leave. He said he worked as a welder and at a children's health clinic in Canada.

[...]

Snyder, 23, of Colorado Springs, Colo., was trained as an engineer with the 94th Corps of Engineers, but said that when he was sent to Iraq in 2004 he was put on patrol, something he said he wasn't trained to do. He said he began to turn against the war when he saw an innocent Iraqi man seriously wounded by American gunfire.