[lbo-talk] Moroccan wins Iran's Holocaust cartoon contest

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Nov 2 20:37:05 PST 2006

>> Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>> The Holocaust does not justify Israeli policy, no question about it.

Of course it does. At least, that's what we're continually told. If there had not been a Holocaust, the zionists would have no moral claim to a state.

>> But millions of Jews were killed.

So were many more millions of others, but there seems to be no foreign policy built around them.

>> That shouldn't be denied, and no one should make excuses for denying it.

Agreed.

>> The Danish cartoons were stupid and deliberately offensive, but they
>> didn't kill anyone.

Neither did the Arab cartoons. Cartoons don't kill, but they do make killing by other means more acceptable. The cliche of the Arab cockroach terrorist would not have become such if we did not countenance this type of humor as normative.

>> (Some rioting hotheads may have killed people, but that's another
>> story.) There's just no symbolic equivalence at all.

Well, sometimes we disagree.

Joanna