[lbo-talk] Disgraced preacher part of Evangelical opening on environment

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 2 22:54:43 PST 2006

(Fair is fair, Although Ted Haggard is now disgraced because of a sex scandal, it should be remembered that he played a prominent role in the recent opening among Evangelicals to environmental concerns. That was certainly positive and something to be welcomed, A mitigating factor to be sure. See the article below, SR)

The Greening of Evangelicals Christian Right Turns, Sometimes Warily, to Environmentalism

By Blaine Harden Washington Post Staff Writer Sunday, February 6, 2005; Page A01

"The environment is a values issue," said the Rev. Ted Haggard, president of the 30 million-member National Association of Evangelicals. "There are significant and compelling theological reasons why it should be a banner issue for the Christian right."

In October, the association's leaders adopted an "Evangelical Call to Civic Responsibility" that, for the first time, emphasized every Christian's duty to care for the planet and the role of government in safeguarding a sustainable environment.

"We affirm that God-given dominion is a sacred responsibility to steward the earth and not a license to abuse the creation of which we are a part," said the statement, which has been distributed to 50,000 member churches. "Because clean air, pure water, and adequate resources are crucial to public health and civic order, government has an obligation to protect its citizens from the effects of environmental degradation."

Signatories included highly visible, opinion-swaying evangelical leaders such as Haggard, James Dobson of Focus on the Family and Chuck Colson of Prison Fellowship Ministries. Some of the signatories are to meet in March in Washington to develop a position on global warming, which could place them at odds with the policies of the Bush administration, according to Richard Cizik, the association's vice president for governmental affairs.

Also last fall, Christianity Today, an influential evangelical magazine, weighed in for the first time on global warming. It said that "Christians should make it clear to governments and businesses that we are willing to adapt our lifestyles and support steps towards changes that protect our environment."

Haggard, the leader of the National Association of Evangelicals, concedes that this thinking "is a problem that I do have to address regularly in talking to the common man on the street. I tell them to live your life as if Jesus is coming back tomorrow, but plan your life as if he is not coming back in your lifetime. I also tell them that the authors of the Left Behind books have life insurance policies."

Full http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A1491-2005Feb5.html