[lbo-talk] Iraq a 'work of art in progress' says US general

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 08:24:45 PST 2006

On 11/3/06, Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> wrote:
> [Hmm, I don't know much about art, but I know what I don't like.]
>
> Iraq a 'work of art in progress' says US general after 49 die
>
> Julian Borger in Washington
> Friday November 3, 2006
> The Guardian
>
> An American general in Baghdad called Iraq a "work of art" in progress
> yesterday in one of the most extraordinary attempts by the US military
> leadership to put a positive spin on the worsening violence.
> On a day in which 49 people were killed or found dead around the country,
> Major General William Caldwell, the chief military spokesman, argued that
> Iraq was in transition, a process that was "not always a pleasant thing to
> watch.
>
> "Every great work of art goes through messy phases while it is in
> transition. A lump of clay can become a sculpture. Blobs of paint become
> paintings which inspire," Maj Gen Caldwell told journalists in Baghdad's
> fortified green zone. ...
>
> <http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,,1938419,00.html>

Perhaps, the general is a fan of Marinetti.

"We want to glorify war -- the only cure for the world -- militarism, patriotism, the destructive gesture of the anarchists, the beautiful ideas which kill, and contempt for woman. . . . For art can only be violence, cruelty, injustice." -- "The Futurist Manifesto," 1909, <http://www.cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/T4PM/futurist-manifesto.html> -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>