[lbo-talk] Become a vegetarian or rot in hell!!! ;-)

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Nov 3 08:48:58 PST 2006

ravi wrote:

>So, it seems to me from what you write above that your answer is that it
>is a sort of programmed response? There are things that we (you too I
>assume) have dropped that used to make you queasy, because at some point
>you discovered that it is just some sort of received prejudice or
>programmed behaviour. For example, for some people it is their attitude
>towards homosexuality. There is a need to not discriminate against
>homosexuality, but realising that aversion to kissing one's cousin is a
>cultural practice, does not compel one to start kissing them ;-). By
>which I mean I am not suggesting that should you realise that your
>differential attitude towards animals and rocks is programmed,
>unexamined, arbitrary (pick one or more or use less loaded terms if you
>find them loaded) you can or should start treating animals as you do
>rocks. You may choose to retain your attitude for some reason or other.
>I am curious about that reason if any.
>
>The other option (mentioned in the question) is that you have arrived at
>your attitude through some thought process, in which case I am curious
>once again as to what that process is.

This is a false dichotomy. There are not some things that are "programmed" and other things that are due to "individual thought processes"; any pattern of complex behavior and thought in people is due to the confluence and interaction of a variety of sociocultural, biological, and psychological factors, as I mentioned in the previous post. So when you say, "is it programmed or did you arrive at your attitude through some thought process?", the only reasonable response is "yes".

>If I gave you $50 to throw a rabbit across the room and $30 to throw a
>rock, you may choose to do neither, or I am guessing you will throw the
>rock. If so, why?

Let me bring us back to my original question: why is it morally defensible to you to eat some living things but not others? I don't care about rocks. To restate your question: do you think it's okay to rip the heads off a broccoli plant but not a chicken? If so, why?

>I think you are underselling yourself, here... forget about the "it
>could be". You are Miles. You have access to his thoughts and emotions.
>Tell us what is really going on (or would go on) in such a situation.

Another pernicious myth: people can accurately report on the causes of their own behavior and beliefs. I don't need to be a Freudian to see that who I am is shaped by many biological, psychological, and social factors that I don't completely understand. (Something can affect you without you noticing it!)

>No, no... I am saying that (a) either you used some reasoning to arrive
>at your attitude towards animals, or (b) you are using a programmed
>response. If it is the former, then it is possible that my work is done
>for me and this discussion could be settled quickly. If it is the
>latter, then the burden is on me to demonstrate that (b) is not wrong
>simply because it is programmed, and could well be based on some reasoning.

I have to say I don't follow your argument at all. Whether or not I arrived at some conclusion by reasoning has no impact on whether or not animals actually suffer. If you say, "I reasoned that animals suffer; therefore they do" that's like saying "if I arrived at my belief in God via reasoning, then God exists!" It doesn't matter how you got to the claim "animals suffer and plants don't"; what I'm interested in is, "What is evidence for the claim that all animals suffer and all plants don't?"

>Ok, what are the measurements you use to figure out if someone (whom you
>cannot directly communicate with) is suffering? As I mentioned in my
>response to someone else (Bill?) we share our biological systems to a
>large extent with many creatures, so there may be clues there.

Okay, this is getting to my point. There are no reliable physiological indicators that can be used across all species to determine whether or not a being is "suffering". Suffering is a psychological condition; it's not an organic condition. This is why I don't understand your position: sure, according to common sense, animals suffer and plants don't. However, it is possible that plants "suffer" in different ways than animals; thus, according to your ethical position on animals, we shouldn't eat them. --Note here that I'm just using your own argument about how we should recognize and reduce suffering among nonhuman species!

Here's the dilemma: (a) you can consistently support the idea that the human concept of suffering is applicable to nonhuman species, in which case it is immoral to eat anything; or (b) you can create a hierarchy of living things that are okay to eat and those that are not, in which case you're doing the same thing that a person who eats chicken or beef does.

Miles