[lbo-talk] Unpopular President

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 3 10:18:22 PST 2006

The President arrived in my little burg last night via motorcade. He usually comes in AF1. The entire North/South corridor was closed in anticipation of his arrival. This closure was not announced in advance to let people know to leave early or expect to arrive late for their destinations. Normally this would not be newsworthy but I happened to be at the main North/South and East/West intersection about 30 minutes before dumbass drove by. Traffic was already stacked up when I pulled up. In spite of below freezing temps several dozen people got out of their cars to see the President drive by. When his motorcade finally came into sight there was absolutely no cheering. This is a red state and a red town but the President was only greeting with boo's and calls of "fuck you asshole". Even more odd was the fact that the cops at the intersection threatened to arrest people for booing and yelling and that just made the crowd jeer the President louder and laugh at the cop. This was not a planned protest but rather just a sample of people heading across town. This is big change from when dumbass came in '04. People waved and honked and acted glad to see him. I normally have to visit friends in St. Louis to see this type of behavior from Missourians. I hope this new found local dislike of the President is deep enough to effect all Republicans at the Polls next week.

His hotel is also heavily fortified with heavy military vehicles from the National Guard station along with dozens of large dump trucks forming a ring around the block where he is staying. This too is new. They didn't do this during his last visit nor during the VP's visit a few months ago. Has he become more worried about being attacked than he was only 2 years ago?

The catering company that is working the event is the cities largest employer of ex-convicts. I don't know why that was allowed in view of his heightened fear.

John Thornton