[lbo-talk] My interview w/ World Burns to Death

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 3 10:42:29 PST 2006

With the cars mentioned I'm guessing not everyone wants the same sensations.

The Porsche devote wants speed which is a desire to control and engage in risky actions.

The Mustang and Packard are more appearance cars so I'm guessing there is some level of eros attached to those designs for the people who desire them. They both drive very poorly. Better a '55 Packard with the “Torsion-Level” self-adjusting suspension than a '48 if you want to enjoy driving it.

Security, speed, and/or sex are the main reasons people pick just about anything except a minivan or 4 door sedan. Those seem more about utility.

John Thornton