[lbo-talk] Setting the turtle free...

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 3 22:53:12 PST 2006

I released a Box turtle in my yard that I saw several years later still in the yard. I have no idea where the turtle was between the times I saw it. It must have been nearby. Anyway I know of one released turtle that survived for at least 5 years after being released. I have a fish pond in my yard so water is available. Any wooded park with water should work fine if a Russian turtle is anything like a Box turtle.

Unless you live somewhere really warm I wouldn't release it right before winter however since it may not find a place to overwinter in time and then freeze. They can freeze to death with the temp still above freezing. They generally dig a hole that extends below the freeze line on southern facing slopes but much depends on the weather and terrain in your area.

They also need to vary their diet the last several weeks before they go into hibernation to survive. They need a very low protein diet extremely high in vitamin A in order to maintain the proper thyroid activity for hibernation.

John Thornton