[lbo-talk] My interview w/ World Burns to Death

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 5 11:38:42 PST 2006

And then, going back 20 more years, there's Robert Johnson's Terraplane Blues (talk about identification! -- if not with the self then with the obscure object of desire):

And I feel so lonesome you hear me when I moan When I feel so lonesome You hear me when I moan Who been drivin' my Terraplane for you since I been gone I'd said I flash your lights, mama your horn won't even blow (Spoken: Somebody's been runnin' my batteries down on this machine)

I even flash my lights, mama this horn won't even blow Got a short in this connection hoo-well, babe, it's way down below

I'm on'h'ist your hood, mama I'm bound to check your oil I'm on'h'ist your hood, mama-mmm I'm bound to check your oil I got a woman that I'm lovin' way down in Arkansas

Now, you know the coils ain't even buzzin' little generator won't get the spark Motor's in a bad condition, you gotta have these batteries charged But I'm cryin', please plea-hease don't do me wrong Who been drivin' my Terraplane now for you-hoo since I've been gone

Mr. Highway man plea-hease don't block the road Puh hee hee plea-hease don't block the road Cause she's re'ist'rin a cold one hundred and I'm booked and I got to go

Mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm You ooo ooo ooo You hear me weep and moan Who been drivin' my Terraplane now for you-hoo since I been gone

I'm on get deep down in this connection keep tanglin' with your wires I'm on get deep down in this connection hoo-well, keep tanglin' with these wires And when I mash down on your little starter then your spark plug will give me fire

* * *

This is a 1937 Hudson Terraplane:

http://photos.aaca.org/showphoto.php?photo=1757

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_My_Merry_Oldsmobile>