[lbo-talk] Lionel Tiger does not like Clifford Geertz

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Nov 7 07:51:27 PST 2006

-clip- He became the anthropological enforcer for the New York Review of Books and, like Steven Jay Gould in biology, intricately upheld a conventional world view which provided intimidating intellectual cover for politically correct thoughts and deeds.

Prof. Geertz influenced the intellectual life of his time because he argued for the comforting and evasive simplification that there could be no facts about social life, only negotiable representations of singular private experiences and social positions. Fuzz. Fuzz. All was imprecise, arguable. There was no glisten to reality; it was covered in fuzz. In anthropology, the holy intellectual trinity of race/class/gender became the imperative explanatory tools to explain and understand anything;

^^^^^ CB:

How would Geertz's fuzzy thinking and focus on subjectivity include the clear and objectively tending trinity of race/class/gender ? Is Tiger fuzzing over something here ?

I've got a biologically founded thesis for Tiger, the Charles Darwin prof: Capitalism is lowering our species Darwinian fitness.