[lbo-talk] In God's country

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 7 11:48:13 PST 2006

The Willow Creek Church here in Chicagoland, one of the fastest growing mega-church franchises here, apparently puts on what amounts to a more or less (sometimes less) amateur arts concert on Sunday mornings, not the traditional prayers, hymns, and sermons. Their ads show people dancing in a highly professional way, with the slogan. This Is Church? And giving a dot com e-address.

I am told by someone who knows that WCC has a two tier membership structure, one for folks who attend the Sunday services and participate in the social life, who (I understand) are discouraged from even contributing money, or maybe not permitted to; and a committed cadre membership which more than tithes. The mass membership is intermittently approached for cadre membership, but the latter is a real commitment.

The nontraditional approach was apparently derived from nonprofessional but intelligently run marketing surveys conducted by the founders, who went around gathering data on why people didn't go to church.

Maybe left groups might take a cue. Unions are: the SEUI has been studying the WCC and other big box churches to see how they, as one says in today's repulsive jargon, "grow" their membership.