[lbo-talk] Lionel Tiger does not like Clifford Geertz

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 7 12:32:14 PST 2006

Charles A. Grimes wrote:

> Tiger obviously doesn't understand or know about the German or Euro
>tradition of studying culture as a thematic or symbolic world.
I've been reading Ginzburg's "The Enigma of Piero. Piero della Francesca". Ginzburg's great for exploring the tension between this tradition, in this case exemplified by iconological interpretations in art history, and what he calls "minimum requirements of intellectual rigor." Ginzburg knows what he's talking about and I think you're right that Tiger doesn't. I hope you write more on this later.