[lbo-talk] In God's country

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Nov 7 14:54:14 PST 2006

Andy F wrote:

> colleges, home schoolers, missionaries) I'd say that much is true --
> even people who are deeply involved on the religious end tend not to
> beat you about the head with it. But there are still other concrete
> measures -- belief in creationism, angels, miracles and the like --
> that are plain off the charts in the US.

I've been looking at all of the political flyers and church newsletters that my family gets. What really strikes me is the point to which the various fundamentalist religions are unified on social and political issues. I don't remember the Lutheran church of the 1970s as being that political and my family belonged to the whacked-out Missouri Synod*.

The recent church newsletter has a reprinted essay from Concerned Women for America. The pro-life voting cards have been coming in the mail at a quick pace. I also understand that Sunday School classes for adults now include programming in how to rebut and block arguments against creationism.

Chuck

* From what I understand, a Missouri Synod minister was upbraided for his participation in the post-9/11 ecumenical remembrance service at Shea Stadium. Fundamentalist Lutherans are hardcore about denying that any forms of religion other than Lutheranism are legitimate.