[lbo-talk] Help Release AIC Member Ahmad Abu Hannya from Administrative Detention

Bryan Atinsky bryan at alt-info.org
Tue Nov 7 23:18:18 PST 2006

Help Release AIC Member Ahmad Abu Hannya from Administrative Detention

Written by Alternative Information Center (AIC)

http://alternativenews.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=605&Itemid=1

The Alternative Information Center (AIC) urges you to appeal to the Israeli authorities for the immediate and unconditional release from administrative detention of our colleague and friend Ahmad Abu Hannya.

Ahmad, the coordinator of the AIC youth group, was detained at a checkpoint on his way to work on May 18 2005 and placed in administrative detention, which is imprisonment without trial or charges. As all of the approximately 900 Palestinian administrative detainees currently being held by Israel, Ahmad and his attorney are not even permitted to know the evidence against him.

Ahmad has been adopted as an appeal case by Amnesty International.

The continuing detention of Ahmad and so many other Palestinians blatantly violates international law, which permits administrative detention as an exceptional and highly regulated measure. Administrative detention violates the fundamental right to liberty and due process, and is used by Israel as a tool to oppress political activists in Palestine who struggle non-violently against the Israeli occupation and for a just peace for Palestinians and Israelis.

We do not know the secret evidence that Israel claims to have against Ahmad. We do know, however, that Ahmad has worked with progressive Israelis and Palestinians since 1998 on behalf of human rights and for the fundamental freedoms of all peoples in the area. Ahmad has a demonstrated commitment to a just peace and joint life for Palestinians and Israelis in the region.

Ahmad’s current detention order expires on 19 November 2006 and we urge you

· To petition the Israeli authorities to immediately release Ahmad upon expiration of this detention order;

· To demand that Israel either release the Palestinians held in administrative detention or charge them with recognized legal offences in fair trials;

· To urge Israel to end its illegal and immoral occupation of the Palestinian territories, which is the root cause of administrative detentions and the other human rights violations committed by Israel. An end to the occupation will enable Israelis and Palestinians to live together in peace and security.

Please send your appeals to:

Prime Minister Ehud Olmert Fax: +972 2 566 4838 Email: pm_eng at pmo.gov.il

Minister of Public Security Avi Dicter Fax: +972 2 675 3510 Email: sar at mops.gov.il

Menni Mazuz Attorney General/Legal Advisor to the Government Fax: +972 2 628 5438

Chief Military Attorney Avihai Mandelblit Fax: +972 3 569 4370 Email: arbel at mail.idf.il