[lbo-talk] What the results tell us...

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Nov 8 09:14:17 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Sorry to repeat myself, but disappointment in Dems can be a
> radicalizing force. All those people who've been jonesing for Speaker
> Pelosi! will now find out that it doesn't make all that much
> difference. It'll take some time though.

What gets me is that people can witness countless elections and the ongoing shittiness of politics and still have faith in the system. I think the next few years will radicalize the younger generation about the worthlessness of the Democrats, but what gives with older people who have seen decades of this crap? Is it even possible to radicalize an older American or do they just withdraw from politics into cyncial apathy?

> Greg Palast was kinda wrong, eh?

On a related note: at least the 9/11 truth movement will mostly go away.

It will be interesting to watch popular anger develop against the Democrats as they drag their feet on Iraq. I think that the U.S. will pull out before 2008 just because the situation there is so fucked up.

I'm just mystified as to why Karl Rove didn't organize a pull out of troops after the big Iraqi elections. They could have exited at that point and claimed success. That would have freed them from the headache of an ongoing quagmire. They could have kept the U.S. bases. Even if the situation after a U.S. pull out had turned into a civil war, Rove and Co. would have known that the post-withdrawal mess would be relegated to the back pages of U.S. newspapers.

Chuck