[lbo-talk] Re: In God's country

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Wed Nov 8 10:32:44 PST 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 10:40:24AM -0700, Michael Pugliese wrote:
> On 11/8/06, Matt <lbo4 at beyondzero.net> quoted:
>
> >"When The President Talks To God" by Bright Eyes
>
> http://www.tnr.com/docprint.mhtml?i=20051212&s=trb121205
> TRB FROM BOSTON
> Trite Eyes
> by Jason Zengerle
>

> Late last month, as President Bush's approval ratings hovered near an
> all-time low and the number of Iraq war dead continued to rise, the
> singer-songwriter Conor Oberst came to Washington to perform at
> Constitution Hall. Depending on which music critic you ask, Oberst is
> "the next Bob Dylan," "the new Bob Dylan," "the indie rock Bob Dylan,"
> "the Bob Dylan of Generation Y," or "Dylan for the prescription drug
> generation." The 25-year-old has been eliciting plaudits ever since he
> was a precocious teenager in Omaha, Nebraska, who warbled folk-tinged,
> verbose songs of love and betrayal. But it was only in the last few
> years, after he changed the focus of his music from teenage heartbreak
> to political angst, that critics began affixing the Dylan halo to his
> head.

[...]

Yikes! Harsh! I think his music is great, and don't really feel the need to compare what Oberst is doing now to what Dylan did some 40 years ago. Dylan is pretty unimportant in 2006 - isn't he writing albums for The Lord from a fortified gated compound somewhere out west or something?

Do the politics of The New Republic suck? I only skimmed the site.

I thought it was pretty cool that instead of pimping the latest Bright Eyes albums on The Tonight Show he played that protest song which isn't on either _I'm Wide Awake It's Morning_ or _Digital Ash In A Digital Urn_.

Seeing Bright Eyes perform earlier this year at Philadelphia's Academy Of Music was amazing.

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 icq: 120941588 http://blogdayafternoon.com yahoo msg: beyondzero123

The shock therapy of decisive war will elevate the stock market by a couple-thousand points. We will know that our businesses will stay open, that our families will be safe, and that our future will be unlimited. The world will be righted in this life-and-death struggle to preserve our values and our civilization. But to do all this, we must act.

-National Review columnist Larry Kudlow, on how the way to emerge

from the current stock slump is to start unprovoked wars against

sovereign nations