[lbo-talk] China, U.S. hold third strategic dialogue

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Wed Nov 8 12:01:09 PST 2006

People's Daily Online http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/

China

UPDATED: 21:03, November 08, 2006

China, U.S. hold third strategic dialogue http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200611/08/eng20061108_319509.html

China and the United States on Wednesday held their third round of strategic dialogue in Beijing, agreeing on stronger cooperation and closer consultation.

Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi and the U.S. Undersecretary of State Nicholas Burns co-chaired the strategic dialogue.

"The United States and China have very important relationship," Burns said in the opening address.

"The relationship focuses on bilateral issues that motivate us from day to day, and we also have other issues. (Because) together we have responsibility for global peace and global security," Burns said.

The two sides had a candid and in-depth exchange of views on bilateral ties and international and regional issues of common concern, according to a statement released by the Chinese Foreign Ministry.

The dialogue also touched upon the Korean Peninsular nuclear issue. Burns said in a meeting with Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Dai Bingguo that "we will see what we can do with" the North Korea's nuclear issue.

Following the strategic dialogue, Burns also met with Chinese Foreign Minister Li Zhaoxing.

"We had very very productive session of senior dialogue this morning," Burns told Li. "The United States and China should be partners and try to secure stability and peace in the world."

At the time that the international situation is undergoing complicated and profound changes, the two sides believe that it is of great importance for China and the United States to develop the sound and stable relationship of constructive cooperation, the foreign ministry statement said.

"China and the United States agreed to step up cooperation on a wide range of bilateral issues, and work for closer communication and consultation on major international and regional issues," the statement said.

The two sides also agreed that the strategic dialogue helps enhance the mutual trust, expand consensus, develop cooperation and promote the constructive cooperation to a new high.

Burns arrived in Beijing Tuesday evening. This was his first time to lead the U.S. side in strategic dialogue with China. Two rounds of China-U.S. strategic dialogues had been held in August and December last year.

Source: Xinhua

Copyright by People's Daily Online, all rights reserved