[lbo-talk] Hang him, says Iran

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Wed Nov 8 15:12:36 PST 2006

The Hindu http://www.thehindu.com/

Wednesday, Nov 08, 2006

International

Hang him, says Iran http://www.hindu.com/2006/11/08/stories/2006110805301601.htm

TEHRAN: Iran on Tuesday described former Iraqi President, Saddam Hussein, as a criminal who deserved to die, calling for the death sentence on him to be carried out. "We want the correct, fair and legal verdict against this criminal [Saddam] ... enforced,'' Iran's Government spokesman Gholam Hossein Elham told a news conference.

"There's no doubt that he [Saddam] is a criminal dictator, we hope no pressures will be made to pull back this verdict,'' said Mr. Elham. The spokesman also refuted suggestions that the execution of Mr. Hussein may exacerbate the violent conflict between Iraq's Shias and Sunni communities. Mr. Elham said, "I think it's quite clear such a suggestion is mischievous. Saddam has both Shiite and Sunni blood on his hands, his very existence is antihuman.''

Iran wanted the former Iraqi leader to be tried for other alleged crimes. _

Xinhua

Copyright © 2006, The Hindu.