[lbo-talk] vapid corporate culture

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Nov 9 07:53:17 PST 2006

On Nov 9, 2006, at 9:31 AM, B. wrote:

> Yes, even terms like "Just making sure we're on the
> same page here" or "just touching base with you"
> originate in corpo-speak.

Lucy Kellaway does a wonderful parody of this style in her weekly Martin Lukes column in the Financial Times <http://www.ft.com/comment/ columnists/martinlukes> - the only serial epistolary fiction I know of, in email form. The protagonist, Lukes, is chief great leader of a- b global UK, a conglomerate whose product is unclear. He's alwoys "diarising brainbangs" with his staff, offering "thought showers" and "mind bullets" to colleagues, and coining neologisms like Creovation and Integethics. His latest scheme is to make a-b global UK carbon neutral, and he's trying to diarise a brainbang with Richard Branson and Nicholas Stern to help that happen.

Doug