[lbo-talk] Ellen Willis dies

Jesse Lemisch utopia1 at attglobal.net
Thu Nov 9 14:32:36 PST 2006

This seems fairly straightforward: a case of males expressing rage that somebody should criticize the rapid negative response to the death of a leading feminist. It is, quite simply, rage by males on a gender issue. We all believe in telling the truth, but I assure you I wouldn't impose my disagreements with Todd Gitlin, for instance, on the day of his death. And I assume that most people on this list wouldn't either. And I would certainly not express over-the-top rage if somebody else thought such expressions a little improper. I know that the enraged will interpret this, say, 24 hour hiatus as a surrender of critical faculties, but try it with whatever other litmus you choose. The response here has been positively shameful.

Jesse Lemisch

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael J. Smith" <mjs at smithbowen.net> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2006 4:23 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Ellen Willis dies