[lbo-talk] Ellen Willis dies

sean.andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 08:13:55 PST 2006

Jesse Lemisch wrote:
> Liza, your Nation piece is good. As you will see as you look through the
> digest, I applied the same standards to males and females, alluding to Todd
> Gitlin, who as you know I deeply disagree with.

You didn't apply any standard to here--all males and females (evidently including Liza) were equally wrong and rage filled in proportion to their disagreement with your position. You imputed the character of others by saying they wouldn't apply the same standard to these two, which, as several others have also agreed, is completely correct but not in the way you mean it to be: Gitlin would have been skewered rather than mildly criticized for his problematic politics.

As you will see as you catch
> up, there has been hideous rant here, over-the-top stuff.

yes. by you.

Can you imagine a
> couple of hours decent interval before the rant?

Indeed I can imagine it: if there had been, perhaps more light could have accompanied the heat.

This stuff is hurtful to
> whole communities, though clearly not to the LBO community.

which "Stuff"? the stuff where well meaning leftists support zionism? I think there's pretty good evidence THAT hurts whole communities. Or maybe you mean where legitimate critique of this position is voiced alongside other laudatory statements about a certain leftist, but is taken (and accused) to be motivated by some base rage or resistance to women or feminists in particular? That's obviously not constructive either--in any list, including LBO. You're right. that was hurtful. and in bad form. and counterproductive. Perhaps this is your way of apologizing for your unwarrented accusations on this matter. Very well. In that case, perhaps it's best if you drop this and move on to other topics which may serve to repair your damaged authority in the context of this community.