[lbo-talk] trash talking the lumpenproletariat

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 10 08:33:14 PST 2006

Bill Bartlett wrote:

"As for you and your comparing me to Marie Antoinette, I can't get my head around that right now. Its just too weird to be accused of being protected by my ivory tower status and privilege. Can't tell whether you're having a loan of me, or of Angelus, or perhaps yourself. I'll sleep on that, talk to you tomorrow, unless there's some trouble with the local peasants I have to deal with of course."

Yeah, it's kind of weird that Woj, who used to have a Johns Hopkins Uni. sig line, is comparing, you, Bill Bartlett, who lives in a modest housing co-op, as being like Marie Antoinette and in some ivory tower or something, looking down at the poor through the rosy lenses of romanticism.

But to further enter the realm of ad hominem, my experience w/ Woj has been he likes to take something someone has said and use that as a springboard to riff freely on various unrelated gripes. Like, when I said I strategically voted in Texas to help preserve children's medical insurance, he went into a spiel that had zero to do with what I said, something about "Why do Americans think voting is some sort of moral duty?" and also that "'voting your conscience'" was a ridiculous notion (to paraphrase), etc. Fine points to make somewhere and to someone, I guess, but I didn't see what they had to do with any of the sentiments I'd expressed.

-B.