[lbo-talk] T Gitlin & some other matters

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Nov 10 09:08:31 PST 2006

I haven't participated in the Ellen Willis thread, but re a passing reference to Gitlin. Were he to die I at least would either simply ignore the passing or preface my remarks with a point from Martin Van Buren's journals (as channeled by Pound) on the death of Daniel Webster:

de mortuis wrote Mr Van Buren don't quite apply in a case of this character.

Canto XXXVII

I'll venture one very tentative remark on the present discussion. Doug might have waited a bit to remark on her zionism, but the response to that might have been in a lower key. And her zionism is a topic that has come up on this list in the past. BUT I will add to (or subtract from) that by noting that never before has a comment on her zionism been accompanied by any recognition of her importance in the feminist movement.

And moving from that to another question. There are really quite a few persons whose work is of importance to left concerns, who are most definitely of and for the left, who nevertheless diverge sharply on some one issue from other leftists. Abortion. Israel. Right to die. Police. Death Penalty.

Further yet. As some grating exchanges over the last several months on three lists (pen-l, marxism, lbo-talk) have shown, there are extraordinarily sharp differences on the centrality/non centrality of u.s. imperialism for left analysis. There are even sharper differences on whether the preceding sentence is an accurate statement of what the quarrel has been about. And another turn. I have at times been tempted in that bundle of threads to suggest that some males have (unconsciously?) taken some delight in ganging up on an uppity woman while wrapping themselves in the robes of feminism.

Carrol