[lbo-talk] Sraffa (was Ellen Willis dies)

Paul paul_ at igc.org
Fri Nov 10 13:16:00 PST 2006

Yes, Naldi is a good example of people who have researched Sraffa without finding a secret Stalinist sectarian. Naldi is a dedicated biographer of Sraffa and I believe one of his articles ('Some notes on Sraffa's biography, 1917-27',1998 Review of Political Economy 10,4) illustrates the period I was discussing and (IMO) its relevance today. While their ideas varied enormously we can draw on the personal trajectory of people like Sraffa, Gramsci, Mariategui etc (all were in Italy in the early '20s) to see how the left can return to a time where it was considered that we seriously enhance each other intellectually and materially without compromising our substantive differences. It was the aberration of Stalinism/the reaction to Stalinism that deprived us of that mutual support.

In terms of the specific query from Naldi I believe he subsequently published that research in the (European Journal of the History of Economic Thought 'Piero Sraffa: emigration and scientific activity 1921 -- 45' 2005, vol. 12, issue 3). The same issue has a number of other Sraffa biographical articles, some by people who spent quite a bit of time with Sraffa (Pasinetti, Garegnani). Again, no trace of Stalinism was found.

Paul