[lbo-talk] Re: What's the Matter With Kansas (and other responses)

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Nov 10 23:46:12 PST 2006

ravi wrote:

> The stuff you write above (aggreived Massa etc) is not the description
> of a type of racism? I think you are seeing "Black" into this picture.
> All Chuck is doing is raging (in his trademark angry young man tones)
> against religiosity irrespective of where it comes from. In the views of
> many, religiosity is as evil as racism was, and fighting against it is
> the same as against racism.

I'm not really angry. I'm really just jumping on the bandwagon of atheist backlash.

Like I'm watching Bill Maher tonight and he's going off about the stupidity of religion and the fact that an atheist will never be elected president of the U.S. Or the bandwagon that is the growing pile of new books critical of religion that are starting to pile up on my desk.

I'm really happy to see the increase in religion-bashing on the left. It's long overdue.

Are we going to talk again--after the recent election results--about some need for the left to reach out to religious people?

What ticks me off are other leftists who lecture me about how I should be respectful of religious people and how I should think about building coalitions with these people.

What about being true to my own experience and beliefs? I don't see religious people going around trying to work with atheists like me. Hell, they probably don't know that I'm an atheist, because I don't wear my atheism on my sleeve. I'm always getting religion shoved in my face, mostly by spiritual leftists, but it's all the same to me. I have no use for religion in my life.

Chuck0