[lbo-talk] Borat

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sat Nov 11 09:01:21 PST 2006

On Saturday 11 November 2006 11:36, Chris Doss wrote:
> Am I imagining things, or have 75% of LBO threads over
> the last couple of days involved people insulting each other?

So what else is new?

I'm a relative newbie here myself, but I'm quite delighted by the combativeness of this list. So many mailing lists have a preposterously constipated notion of decorum -- like a tea party in some little-used petty-bourgeois parlor, with everybody sitting stiffly on their uncomfortable chairs, pinkies self-consciously extended, trying to think of suitably genteel topics for conversation.

The academic lists are by far the worst, although classics-l, the Greek and Latin list, gets surprisingly heated sometimes. By contrast, the mediaevalists' list, medtext-l, is so soporific that it ought to be a controlled substance.

-- --Michael J. Smith --mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org