[lbo-talk] Borat

sean.andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 14:56:53 PST 2006

Michael Pugliese wrote:
>> Along these lines, I'll also mention that there is a controversy brewing
>> here at GMU because a white student went to a Halloween party dressed in
>> blackface, wearing chains and torn clothes. I'm sure this could be spun
>> as some sort of subversive act, but some things can be considered in such
>> bad taste that they are simply not funny.
>
> http://www.democracy-project.com/archives/002893.html
> Penn President Poses with "Suicide Bomber"
> http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1423506/posts
> Har, har, har. We Are All Hezbollah!

As for the Freeper crap I'm familiar with this propaganda strategy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=441LRDyOD3w

I'm also intrigued by the reason these Campus Watch folks find it problematic: not because this is the only representation we get of the Palestinians or Arabs but because it is assumed that this Middle Eastern kid is advocating violence in his stereotypical portrayal. Notably, this is the thing he apologizes for, not his reinforcement among this crowd of the characteristically violent Arab, something which they seemed to regard as commonplace. I guess you'd agree.

-s