[lbo-talk] (no subject)

Arash arash at riseup.net
Sat Nov 11 16:38:58 PST 2006

Carrol:

Arash wrote:

> Natural selection is in fact the only known
> means for generating complex traits in the sense of complexity I was
> referring to,

Perhaps you are only using awkward language and are not really intending nonsense, so perhaps you can clarify later.

But "natural selection" only SELECTS from what is there. It does not _generate_ anything at all, simple or complex.

Arash:

What I mean is that the functional organization found in a complicated adaptation can come into existence only through repeated natural selection. I don’t think using the verb "generate" to express this idea is particularly awkward usage, the paper I cited in my response to ravi used very similar language to make the same point,“Because natural selection is the only known mechanism capable of generating such functional complexs[argument from design]”

http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/%7Emnkylab/publications/languagespeech/HauserChomskyFitch.pdf