[lbo-talk] choices [was: trash talking the lumpenproletariat]

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 13 10:35:21 PST 2006

Amebix: "They lead you to your slaughter, like they lead a horse to water -- they can't force you to drink, but you do - but you do!"

Woj, you probably know there is such a thing as opportunity structure in US society, right? The array of opportunities available to a poorer person is not the same as for the wealthy or well-connected. Sure, one can make choices within the bounds of these spectrums, but the poorer one is, the narrower the parameters within which to choose. (As an aside, I don't, however, think this can be extrapolated into an argument that US soldiers *have* to kill Iraqis, because they've really had so few choices in life they were sort of corralled into doing this, etc.)

-B.

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

[WS:] Nowhere did I say that the participants of Milgram studies - or for that matter people in general - chose their behavior on the basis of their own moral standards and attitudes. They chose to follow an authority figure instead - but the did make that choice - a choice between an authority figure and their own moral standards."