[lbo-talk] ...a yam thing?

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 14:40:51 PST 2006

On 11/12/06, joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:
> My son wants something with yams for Thxgiving.
>
> Ideas? I looked through my recipie books and ...nada...
>
> J.

Classic Marin Tsimmis:

Yams, Carrots, onions, prunes, honey, cinnamon - salt (if you wish). Just enough oil and wine to keep the food from burning. Cook on low. Simmer until done.

Low fat, moderate carb main dish chicken tsimmis:

Cook two cups of chopped onions two teaspoons of olive oil on medium. Remove from heat as soon as the "curse" is taken off them (that is as soon as they change color a little but before they are fully cooked, and set aside. Leave remaining olive oil the onions were cooked in in the pan.

Adjust heat to low.

Add two teaspoons honey, two tablespoons of wine, half a cup of hot fat free chicken broth. Have another cup of hot chicken broth available to add as needed.

Cook 12 oz chopped carrots until almost done in liquid. Add about about 10 oz of chopped raw yams, plus garlic and cinnamon (and salt if you wish) . Cook until yams are almost done. . If the liquid in the bot starts getting used up add just enough additional broth to keep it from burning. Just before the yam is cooked add back the onion, and 12 oz of chopped raw chicken, bone removed. (boneless skinless breast or thigh) . Add a quarter cup of raisins. Cook until done, stirring every five minutes. Again use chicken broth to save food from burning if neccesary.

If you are not watching fat use a couple of tablespoons of olive oil to begin with, and use chicken meat that includes the skin.

Be generous with garlic and cinnamon.

If you are making a side dish, leave out the chicken.

Recipe as given serves two moderate eaters. Scale up for more people or bigger appetites.

There are many varieties of tsimmis. Generally they involved fruit (usually dried) sweet root veggies (such as carrots or yams) cooked with oil and honey. Spices, onions, and whether to include meat/chicken are a matter of what you like. I have had tsimmis based on apples and apricots, but really prefer the prunes or raisins.