[lbo-talk] RE: Ortega as sellout

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 13 20:15:16 PST 2006

>From: Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com>

>[The tone of this is irritating -- this guy celebrates it as a good thing
>--
>but the narrative is interesting.]

The tone is indeed irritating. And I find the author more interesting than the narrative -- especially the fact that Álvaro Vargas Llosa is (though not noted here) the son of magic-realism novelist Mario Vargas Llosa. I wonder how much of the son's POV is based on fantasy also. I don't think that "pandering to the church, the business community and conservative voters" -- the option that AVL says Daniel Ortega is more or less doomed to follow -- would do much to inspire Nicaraguans as a whole and promote Ortega's success long-term.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Add a Yahoo! contact to Windows Live Messenger for a chance to win a free trip! http://www.imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/yahoo/default.aspx?locale=en-us&hmtagline