[lbo-talk] choices [was: trash talking the lumpenproletariat]

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Nov 13 22:00:45 PST 2006

Every experience I have had with children throughout my life has led me to conclude that children are hard wired to learn. They want to learn; they want to master reality; they want to measure up; they want to create. They always, always want to take the next step, providing they feel reasonably secure in where they are presently.

Schools are basically designed to crush that impulse, to humiliate, and to control. I never knew what boredom was until I went to school. I spent a good part of 1st and 2nd grade in the corner...sometimes on my knees...even though I was a straight A student. A significant proportion of teachers and parents have absolutely no respect for children. They actually think that children are empty, void....until they get filled up with whatever the current ideology tells you you have to fill them up with. And then they're supposed to feel grateful for that.

None of the children I have worked with have any problem "respecting authority" so long as that respect is reciprocated with the teacher's respect for them and understanding of them.

Joanna