[lbo-talk] choices [was: trash talking the lumpenproletariat]

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Nov 14 07:51:20 PST 2006

Bill Bartlett wrote:

> In any event, even if we do need some authority, the real problem is
> not deference to authority, but unquestioning obedience to authority.
> The latter is positively a hindrance to learning. Unless you are
> training a parrot. But we are talking about humans, whose brains are
> capable of much more than the tiny little brains of a parrot. They
> deserve a better educational system, don't you think?

I agree that unquestioning obedience to authority is dangerous. However, so is unthinking resistance to legitimate authority. Structural engineer: "You need to use bigger joists for this load-bearing rooftop". Our hero who questions authority: "What the fuck do you know? I'll build whatever I want!" (Again, I just don't see how an industrial society can function without legitimate authority being granted to people with relevant knowledge and expertise in specialized areas.)

Miles