[lbo-talk] Judy Miller worries about blogger ethics

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 14 08:21:54 PST 2006

<http://www.gawker.com/news/judith-miller/judith-miller-almost-keeps- a-straight-face-while-questioning-blogger-ethics-214594.php>

Judith Miller Almost Keeps a Straight Face While Questioning Blogger Ethics

"I'm worried about bloggers," she said. "(A post) starts as a rumor and within 24 hours it's repeated as fact."

That'd be New York Sun freelance book critic and soi-disant First Amendment martyr Judith Miller, who finally reveals something that's bigger than her ego: her sheer, balls-out chutzpah.

While she advocates a federal shield law to protect mainstream journalists from divulging their sources, she doesn't favor extending that to bloggers who don't follow the standards and ethics of the journalism industry. Still, she wouldn't restrict a blogger's right to publish online. She said some bloggers have been invaluable in uncovering government flaws. "I'm glad to welcome them as long as they agree to the standards," she said.

Yeah, let's talk about standards. Say what you will about bloggers (unhygienic, self-centered, massively unattractive), but we can't think of any of them who served as administration mouthpieces and played an active role in pushing the United States into a failed and divisive conflict that has cost thousands of lives with no end in sight.

Okay, maybe Instapundit. Still, the point stands. Peddle that shit elsewhere, Judy, nobody's buying it here.

Former N.Y. Times reporter decries Bush policies [Topeka Capital- Journal] <http://www.cjonline.com/stories/111106/kan_miller.shtml>