[lbo-talk] choices [was: trash talking the lumpenproletariat]

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Nov 14 09:03:46 PST 2006

> Let me ask this: if the schools are so effectively crushing the
> impulse to learn, why ... [better than in the past]

Because sometimes when you fill a vacuum, it still sucks?

(Basically you're arguing that it sucked even more in the past, which I guess not many would disagree with ...)

But I'll say this: at a number of different schools over the years, I had a wildly different set of experiences ... some of which matched what other have said, and some which were quite fulfilling. My advice is: if your kid's school sucks, keep looking. There are people out there who are interested in seeing your kid thrive.

Also: don't discount parental participation. It's probably 3-5x more important (SWAG ALERT) what the parent is "doing in school" than what the kid is.

IMHO, YMMV.

/jordan