[lbo-talk] choices [was: trash talking the lumpenproletariat]

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 14 09:26:13 PST 2006

On 11/14/06, Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu> wrote:
> I agree that unquestioning obedience to authority is dangerous.
> However, so is unthinking resistance to legitimate authority.
> Structural engineer: "You need to use bigger joists for this
> load-bearing rooftop". Our hero who questions authority: "What the fuck
> do you know? I'll build whatever I want!" (Again, I just don't see how
> an industrial society can function without legitimate authority being
> granted to people with relevant knowledge and expertise in specialized
> areas.)

Here's where we can learn from the corporations. They successfully release products without ceding their decisionmaking authority to their more skilled workers.

The more enlightened ones offer empowerment to their skilled workers -- but also leash them. Because they know what can happen.

Now, an engineer (or other professional) might win more power than a secretary, much like a priesthood can wield significant power that a dictator can't ignore. But those in power know better than to be controlled by their own technocrats. What they will do is listen to them and then make the final decision. They'll even rationally act against their short term self-interests to ensure they maintain authority. (And then maybe find ways to commoditize these threatening professionals so the challenge doesn't happen again.)

Of course, I have no intention of following the corporate example. But they've built up a lot of management literature through trial-and-error, and it's useful to learn from the problems they face.

Tayssir