[lbo-talk] Borat socked

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Tue Nov 14 14:44:43 PST 2006

Doug forwarded:

> <http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006520669,00.html>
> The Sun - November 13, 2006
> By EMILY SMITH
>
> BORAT star Sacha Baron Cohen was beaten up by a passer-by after he
> tried to play a prank as his alter ego.

Ah, now that's the America I've come to know and detest -- the Empire which can't take a joke. (Humor, as Patrick McGoohan pointed out in a great line in "The Prisoner", is the very essence of a democratic society.)

The secret of Borat is that the US is falling apart just like the USSR did, only slower, amidst a flurry of video freezeframes. He's a mirror for everything archaic and obsolescent about the Empire, including its strutting gender ideologies, and his routines kind of remind me of the skits of Grand Theft Auto videogames, which overflow with uproarious anti-Imperial wit.

-- DRR