[lbo-talk] Thesis, antithesis, thesis! ...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 15 17:07:29 PST 2006

bitch wrote:

> Nonetheless, *I* don't have to pay attention to him, on the principle of
> there are more important things and a phenom. called information overload.

Information overload (or perhaps its social/historical causes) is perhaps the central fact of contemporary culture. And despite all the attention devoted to it (but mostly either in professional journals or in rather parenthetical references in popular texts) it is regularly ignored in specific contexts. Doug neer has answered my question of what he learns from watching tv that I remain ignorant of. He merely blew it off as riiculous. But there is so much repetition, redundancy, overlap, whatever in modern culture that one loses almost nothing by being innocent or mostly innocent of broad swatches of it.

Carrol