[lbo-talk] Hoyer beats Murtha...

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Thu Nov 16 10:44:16 PST 2006

On Thursday 16 November 2006 12:58, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2006, at 12:49 PM, Michael J. Smith wrote:
>
> > ... for House majority leader. Does this mean anything at all?
> > Did Pelosi really go all-out for Murtha, or was it a token effort?
> > Do we care? Should we?
>
> It's all just "sandbox politics," or whatever Cde Cox likes to call
> it. All right-thinking thinkers think it doesn't matter, right?

The thought had occurred to me that Murtha's strings are pulled by the Pentagon and Hoyer's by the Israel lobby. Perhaps their struggle hints at a less-than-perfect harmony between these two elephants in the room.

Neither one of the elephants gets much affection from me, of course, but I can't help taking an interest, from my vantage point before the mast, in these quarterdeck power struggles -- as long as they're about _something_ and not just personal ambition. Whether the Hoyer/Murtha thing is "about something" in my sense I don't expect The Note to tell me, fun reading though it often is.

--

Michael J. Smith

mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org