[lbo-talk] Uncle Miltie, he dead

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 11:21:39 PST 2006

On 11/16/06, Michael J. Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 16 November 2006 12:59, Doug Henwood wrote:
> > [At the risk of inflaming Jesse again, bye Miltie. None too soon.]
>
> As a former inmate of the University of Chicago, I would
> like to add my voice to Friedman's well-deserved cacologies.
> A bad, bad, man, and the Grand Goblin of a very nasty, smug,
> thuggish intellectual milieu around the B-school and the
> economics department.

The U of C in my day felt like a monastery and not a prison. But then again I used to jump the walls quite often and spend most of my time doing my work at Jimmy's or some blues bar somewhere or at the movies. And I think most of us were able to get through our years without paying homage to the Chicago boys and praying to their weird economic theology. But then if I remember the real problem was nervous breakdown and a general feeling of sink or swim. If you stayed away from the B-school and the Law School as an undergrad you were pretty safe from the coarse ideologies and then you only had to deal with the Maoists or the Sparts in the quad, for your quota of ideology.

But even with a few years at the U of C I never understood what in the world Uncle Miltie contributed to economics. I can't imagine why his ideas were taken seriously. His more "philosophical" works like "Capitalism and Freedom" just seemed silly pieces of propaganda. As for his "economics" maybe Doug or someone can enlighten me; What was his monetary "theory" all about anyway? Why give a Nobel prize for this stuff?

No pennies for that old guy, as far as I'm concerned. But if we are to continue with Doug's Conradical reference I would suppose that the heart of the darkness is somewhere inside of Pinochet's chest.

JM -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20061116/c96dda5b/attachment.htm>