[lbo-talk] "Poland"

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 12:18:56 PST 2006

On 11/16/06, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is it something Bush said in the debates about the
> coalition of the willing or something?

>From <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_forgot_Poland>
(they have the most random shit)

Presidential debates

During the debate John Kerry accused Bush of failing to gain international support for the 2003 Invasion of Iraq, saying "... when we went in, there were three countries: Great Britain, Australia and the United States. That's not a grand coalition. We can do better." Bush replied by saying "Well, actually, he forgot Poland." "You forgot Poland" is thus a misquotation.

[...]

Popularization of the term

Paraphrased as "You forgot Poland", the term became a popular catch phrase among Bush detractors, seen as a humorously petty rebuttal of Kerry's original point (i.e. that Bush claimed that over 40 nations were "supporting" the invasion, when the number of nations that had contributed over 1,000 troops was low; therefore even if Bush's statement was entirely accurate, four nations with large troop numbers on the ground as opposed to three was still nowhere near forty). The phrase was used on bumper stickers, T-shirts and other merchandise.

-- Andy