[lbo-talk] Uncle Miltie, he dead

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 12:29:02 PST 2006

I think Friedman rightly focused on the importance of money and the role of money as a medium of economic relationships. Although I think a lot of his ideas were wrong, I think they were powerful enough and well-thought-out enough to push the inquiry forward. If you look at that little video about the pencil and think about it, you see that money is a connecting medium - a very broad social agreement and an economic language. Friedman definitely over-emphasized a certain view of that medium and drew conclusions I don't agree with, but as I say, he pushed the argument forward.

Of course his polemics also tended to push people away from studying money because they associated the real, economic inquiry with the political nonsense and excess. But, as with most thinkers, you have to separate the academic and the polemic.

boddi