[lbo-talk] Thesis, antithesis, thesis! ...

Nick C. Woomer-Deters nwoomer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 19:14:17 PST 2006

> Scores of millions of your fellow Americans, and hundreds of millions
> of your fellow humans, get much of their information about the world
> from TV, and you have no fucking idea what they're seeing. Don't you
> think that leaves you estranged?

I would add to this that millions, and possibly scores of millions, of Americans also get information, inspiration and the like from the music played on commercial radio stations. A few years back, I began forcing myself to listen to some of the worst country music stations on the FM frequency. I still do this, and I've found it pretty edifying in the sense that it keeps me more tuned in to the a segment of the white working class than I otherwise would be. This is not to say I've developed any deep insights -- just that I feel a little more educated than I was before I started. If you haven't done this, I recommend you try it the next time you're stuck in the car for a long time. It's one thing to read that a lot of white working class people's families are the most important thing to them (with God coming in second) but it's quite another thing to listen to it being sung at you for a few hours.

-N -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20061116/90db2d73/attachment.htm>